Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
There have been too many memorable Olympic moments on the field of play during the Rio 2016 Summer Games to count: broken world records, displays of sportsmanship, the anguish of loss and the exhiliration of victory for athletes and the people who traveled from across the world to cheer them.
Here are just 10 of them, presented in photos and music, that got the world talking.
In order of appearance:
• Brazil's biggest soccer star gives host nation its biggest moment of the games
• Simone Biles delivers under the burden of enormous expectations
• Usain Bolt enhances his Olympic legacy
• Michael Phelps wins more medals than anyone else, again
• Mo Farah wins gold in 10,000m despite fall
• The water at a diving pool goes from blue to green
• Shaunae Miller wins 400m gold by diving across finish line
• Members of first-ever Refugee team celebrated in Rio
• Abbey D'Agostino of the U.S. and New Zealand's Nikki Hamblin tumble together then help each other out
• Egyptian Islam El Shehaby refuses to shake Israeli judo opponent's hand